1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Traveled alone overseas. Graduated veterinary school. Got a job as a real live veterinarian, and had plenty of firsts associated with that - first tail amputation, first cystotomy (bladder stone removal), first euthanasia, first inguinal hernia, first "my" clients, etc.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn't really make any. For next year I would like to try and get back into exercising more.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Ireland, England, France, Italy :-D
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Savings. Some small investments. An engagement ring :-P At least one run a week.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I suppose May 17, for graduating vet school :)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Traveling abroad alone - oh my god, so terrifying, but so much fun. Graduating vet school. Becoming a vet. There's a bit of repetition in some of these answers, ha.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Possibly the case that I thought was just an abscess in the skin, but it turned out to be a migrating barbecue skewer the dog had eaten that had stabbed through its side and made the abscess. I almost sent the dog home before realizing the skewer was there. We ultimately euthanized because the owners did not want to put her through surgery, but I can't imagine how awful I would have felt if they had discovered the skewer at home!!! The other would be the dog whose canine tooth I tried to extract and failed at :(
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I have a cold right now, boo.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tickets to Dublin, Cambridge, London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome :)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Ben for being there for me throughout all of my traveling and job hunting and travails as a new vet. I was pretty excited by my own behavior of getting counseling for my skin-picking and hair-pulling, as I now have beautiful nails and am able to leave those things alone so much better now.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My family had a pretty rough year. My aunt persists in being a huge bitch (she's living with her new boyfriend out in Montana but isn't decent enough to grant my uncle a divorce; and she barely sees her 14-year-old daughter, who she left), my dad had two breakdowns this year, Richie hasn't been able to hold down a job, and Sean persists in being volatile and terrifying in his anger.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, student loans, travel.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
TRAVELING, also, being a real vet! And I did NaNoWriMo successfully this year :)
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
"Wordless Chorus," My Morning Jacket. Ben and I went through a rough patch in February AND we were apart that month, but we stayed close partially by listening to the same music together and then discussing it later.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same.
iii. richer or poorer? Significantly richer! I have to pay student loans but I still have a real salary.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Crafting, running, birding, getting out of the house.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I sort of regret the mindless TV I've been watching, but also still enjoy it, so I can't feel too guilty about it.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Ben and I are having an early Christmas on the 22nd; he'll be going home to visit his folks. I will do a Christmas bird count on the day of Christmas :)
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
No, but I stayed in love :)
22. How many one-night stands?
Zero! Even in dreams I'm disgustingly monogamous.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Didn't watch much new. Parks and Recreation is my only currently running favorite show. Everything else has been caught up on Netflix. We watched Quantum Leap and Frasier all the way through this year and LOVED them!
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
Ugh, have done so little reading. The Hunger Games trilogy really got me going.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I got pretty into Pink Floyd while I was in England, it was fitting.
27. What did you want and get?
A job as a veterinarian, and an amazing travel experience :)
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I enjoyed Sinister quite a bit, though it had a number of flaws. The Hunger Games was probably the best film I saw all year. Shame was excellent but horrifying, don't think I could watch it again.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28, and we finished Quantum Leap.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having a better handle on anxiety.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Layers, layers, layers.
33. What kept you sane?
Ben, Mom, hobbies.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy. Yes, still.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage, access to birth control
36. Who did you miss?
Mom, Portland friends, Ben (when I was abroad)
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I like my coworkers an awful lot. I enjoyed the random people I met overseas.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain. (Frank Herbert, Dune)
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
From Wordless Chorus... "Aaaaaaaaah, aaaaaaaah ahhhh ahhhh..." LOL!